I received my B.Sc. from York University in 1991 (Honours, First Class with Distinction), M.A. from the University of Western Ontario in 1993, and Ph.D. in psychology from the University of Western Ontario in 1997. I then became a Lecturer in the School of Psychology at Cardiff University in 1997, where I have been a Professor since 2004.
My research focuses on social values (e.g., equality, freedom, helpfulness), attitudes, and emotional processes. Two of my principal interests at the moment are projects examining psychological connections between values and behaviour (including the adoption of a healthy lifestyle) and adult mental representations of children.
2001: British Psychological Society Spearman Medal
1997: Canadian Governor-General’s Gold Medal, University of Western Ontario
1993-1997: Canadian Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council Doctoral Fellowship
1996: American Psychological Association Student Travel Award
1996: American Psychological Association Dissertation Research Award
1995-1996: University of Western Ontario Graduate Tuition Scholarship
1993 and 1994: University of Western Ontario Doctoral Studies Scholarship
1991 and 1992: Ontario Graduate Scholarship
1991: York University Departmental Essay Prize
1991: University of Western Ontario Graduate Studies Scholarship
1990: Natural Science and Engineering Research Council Summer Research Fellowship
1987-1991: York University Full-Tuition Scholarship
Senior Associate Editor for Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 2006-2008
- Applied Social Psychology
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Close Relationships
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Ethics and Morality
- Helping, Prosocial Behavior
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Motivation, Goal Setting
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Persuasion, Social Influence
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Social Cognition
- Haddock, G., & Maio, G. R. (Eds.). (2012). Psychology of attitudes (Volumes 1-5). London: Sage.
- Haddock, G., & Maio, G. R. (Eds.). (2004). Contemporary perspectives on the psychology of attitudes. Hove: Psychology Press.
- Maio, G. R., & Haddock, G. (2009). The psychology of attitudes and attitude change. London: Sage.
- Bernard, M., Gebauer, J., & Maio, G. R. (2006). Cultural estrangement: The role of personal and societal value discrepancies. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 32, 78-92.
- Bernard, M., Maio, G. R., & Olson, J. M. (2003). The vulnerability of values to attack: Inoculation of values and value-relevant attitudes. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 29, 63-75.
- Hoyt, W. T., Fincham, F. D., McCullough, M. E., Maio, G. R., & Davila, J. (2005). Responses to interpersonal transgressions in families: Forgivingness, forgivability, and relationship-specific effects. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 89, 375-394.
- Maio, G. R. (2010). Mental representations of social values. In Mark P. Zanna (Ed.), Advances in Experimental Social Psychology (Vol. 42, pp. 1-43). San Diego, CA: Academic Press.
- Maio, G. R., & Thomas, G. (2007). The epistemic-teleological model of self-persuasion. Personality and Social Psychological Review, 11, 1-22.
- Attitudes and Social Cognition
- Individual Differences
- Introductory Psychology
- Social Psychological Theory
- Social Psychology
- Statistics (undergraduate and postgraduate)
School of Psychology
Cathays Terrace, 70 Park Place
Cardiff CF10 3AT
- Phone: +44 2920 876260
- Fax: +44 2920 874858